Monday, July 21, 2008

eat a peach

I like fruit, all kinds really, but I definitely have my favorites. Every summer, around mid-July I'm reminded why a perfect peach is my absolute favorite. The soft, fuzzy skin. The intoxicating sweet aroma. The rich, orange flesh ready to melt like butter once you take a bite.

Did you know that the peach is derived from the rose? That's why when it's at its peak, it's sweet aroma is a tip that the juicy, soft flesh is ready. Yes, you should go by feel too and the peach should yield slightly to pressure, but aroma is my true test. (I put on my Whole Foods hat for that one when I used to write about fruits and vegetables all the time for sales flyer.)

Today, I enjoyed one of the finest peaches I've had this summer. It was so good, I had to write a bit about it.

On a related note, in addition to Shannen Doherty returning as Brenda Walsh on the CW Television Network's spin off update of Beverly Hills 90210, Joe E. Tata will reprise his role as Nat Bussichio, the sagely and fatherly owner of the local hangout - The Peach Pit.

p.s. - the Mackanaw peach from Seinfeld does not exist.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Who would've imagined that Joe Lotstar likes fruit? That's what's so amazing about Joe: he's a Lotstar, but he makes you feel like he's just a regular guy -- somebody you could sit down and eat a peach with. Please do keep us apprised of your eating habits, Joe. You're making Bob Graham proud. Go Marlins!

Desiree said...

You're back! Yay! I remember you made EvIL peach ice cream.

Claire said...

I still prefer a nice PLUMP PLUM.