Saturday, April 12, 2008

down and (not completely) out

In recent weeks, many political pundits and politicians themselves have called for Hillary Clinton to drop out of the Democratic nomination race. They claim this drawn out fight is bad for the party and will make it difficult to defeat McCain in the presidential election this fall. I disagree.

First of all, I can't stand Hillary, but I think she should stay in the race as long as she thinks she has a chance. (You don't see the Pacers not showing up for games in the waning days of the regular season even though their playoff chances are minimal - and undeserving I might ad.)

In fact, I think the prolonged nomination race gives more Americans a chance to learn the Democratic candidates. I think this knowledge only helps their cause in attracting independents for the real election in November. I'm enjoying all the coverage of Obama and Clinton in my home state of Indiana. With our late primary, we typically wouldn't get a whiff from these candidates. In fact, I doubt they'd campaign here at all for the presidential race if the nomination was already wrapped up.


I'm looking forward to voting in our primary on Tuesday, May 6. It will be an educated and enthusiastic vote.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd prefer if the Pacers didn't show up. They should only play every third game or so. That way, when they do play, it's more special.

I suspect you must be supporting McCain -- that's the best reason for Hillary to stay in the race. Also, it's entertaining. But it definitely is not helping Obama at this point. And things that don't help Obama are bad. Even though I'll probably vote McCain.

Joe Lotstar said...

actually I currently lean to Obama