Wednesday, April 9, 2008

a less than full can of garbage

I can't help but notice on garbage collection day in my neighborhood that my house is one of the few with only one garbage can on the corner. If you were to look inside, you'd also see it's not even full. Why? Because Cupcake Gal and I recycle just about everything we can.

Next door, my neighbor to the north usually has 2 full cans of garbage, yet he lives alone.

At our house, the process is somewhat "complex" but we recycle #1 & #2 plastics, aluminum, office paper, newspaper and glass at the corner on collection day (also, one of few in the neighborhood). We put all other plastics, such as #3, 4, 5 & 6 plastics, bottle caps, plastic pull tabs, and newspaper wraps in a bag that we eventually take to the Indianapolis Recycled Fiber drop-off at Kessler & Parker. We put all paperboard, cardboard, delivery envelopes, and shopping bags in other bag and again, take it to the IRF drop-off.

I consider it somewhat of a badge of honor to have the least amount of trash on the block. I'd love to start composting our food scraps soon and reduce the garbage even further but as you can understand, things are already cramped in the kitchen by doing the right thing.

I'll hope to post some other environmental comments occasionally. Please post your comments and eco-tips if you feel like sharing.

1 comment:

Desiree said...

Singapore is fast approaching the consumerist society the US is, although people are also beginning to be much greener than they ever were. Although my mom was pleasantly surprised to received blue bags from my garbage collection people -- free bags! -- I've let her know that those are for recycling. More an Asian mom trait than anything else, at least we have an entire cupboard full of recycled plastics from takeout!